MAIN
NEW THREADS
AD SPOT

Help, bad traffic
Protect-X Forum >> TGP, MGP, CJ, Blog, Link and Top Lists
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
drcrumbs

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007 13:52    Post subject: Help, bad traffic Reply with quote

Hi I'm getting a lot of bad traffic from two sites that setup trades with
me and I have since canceled and have black listed(in AT3). But the
trade is still sending hits in to my site.

Is there anyway I can block the domains completely so my trade status doesnt become horrible with protect-x?

Black listing them in AT3 makes is so I dont pass this traffic to my trades right?
bracey

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://htaccesstools.com has a hit bot blocker you can set up. It works for me.
drcrumbs

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. I also found a way to do it really easily from cpanel.
rhino

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrumbs wrote:
Hi I'm getting a lot of bad traffic from two sites that setup trades with
me and I have since canceled and have black listed(in AT3). But the
trade is still sending hits in to my site.

Let me guess...
liveteenfuck.com, sweetest-ladies.com, and teens-playground.com are 3 that immediately come to mind... as they target the teen niche sites running ATL3 traffic scripts. First is your typical estdomain.com registered cheater, last 2 are part of a well known cheater network. Whatever the trade cheat source, the problem is much the same - Welcome to the cheater world of automated trade signups and stupid cheat bots that don't shut down when you stop sending them your real traffic back.

drcrumbs wrote:
Is there anyway I can block the domains completely so my trade status doesnt become horrible with protect-x?

Yes. Use .htaccess in addition to your trade script blacklist (and share your blacklists between all of your trade sites!).
If you're on dedicated hosting, even better - block them in your server's firewall.

drcrumbs wrote:
Black listing them in AT3 makes is so I dont pass this traffic to my trades right?

No! All that does is change the way your trade script reports the traffic into your site (from trade to no trade), IT DOES NOT STOP YOUR SITE FROM PASSING THE BAD TRAFFIC ON TO YOUR OTHER TRADES, and those other trade sites will see the bad traffic from you, so you're still at risk of getting blacklisted by your trade partners. You need to both BLACKLIST the trade and BLOCK TRAFFIC IN FROM THE BAD TRADE DOMAIN!!

Rhino

Tip 1 - If you operate multiple sites running ATL3 and see the same trade signup (you do have the new trade informer enabled in your ATL3 settings?) for more then 3-5 sites at the same time, check the trade very closely. Don't just look at the traffic trade stats on your site, but also run both DNS lookup for the domain registration & hosting, and reverse DNS to see what other sites are on the same IP address. Domain names are cheap, but IPs aren't quite as readily available, so cheaters tend to use virtual hosting and multiple cheat domains on the same IP or run their autosignup script from the same webmaster IP (which is really a server IP, but your script reports it as a webmaster IP). More organized cheaters are better at hiding the evidence, but you'll see the profile if you look close enough. IMO Estdomain.com registration is usually a reliable sign of trouble ahead (it's not 100%, but it's a Red Flag, just as much as illegal (unregistered, i.e. stolen) TM3 trade scripts used with DTR gallery scripts).

Tip 2 - Save yourself some work and share your blacklists with all domains in your trade network. ATL3 blacklists are located in ./cgi-bin/at3/d and the file names are blacklist1.dat (domain list), blacklist2.dat (webmaster IP), and blacklist3.dat (server IP).

Tip 3 - Use ATL3's IP Daemon to directly post to your site's .htaccess. That's a temporary fix, but will help slow down the cheaters until you can fully evaluate the trade.

Tip 4 - Aside from any initial force set on new trade signups, trade scripts send traffic based on traffic received. If you have a new trade sending you 3X-5X the traffic as your next best trade, and you aren't sending at least that amount of raw traffic back, then in the first 24 hours the chances are good that you are trading with a cheater's bot. Even if you catch the cheat early on you need to fully block the cheater. (If the inbalance in traffic in/traffic out goes past 36 hours, then the odds of it being a cheater are close to 100%), and while your trade script may or may not catch it, you are getting screwed.

Tip 5 - (This is pure opinion, as I have absolutely no issues with ATL3 used on a starter site or even a 2-5 site small network - if you are willing to do some additional admin work.) IMO free trade scripts are designed to introduce you to trading traffic. You can get some really good results and site growth with a single site/few sites running ATL3, BUT FREE TRADE SCRIPTS ARE NOT REALLY DESIGNED to be used in multi-site commercial trade networks. If it was otherwise, you would see the same script functionality in free scripts as paid trade scripts.

Speaking of tools, here are several web resource URLs that will help you in addition to the Protect-X reporting...

Whois Lookup - http://www.domaintools.com/
Reverse IP & NS lookup - http://www.domainsdb.net/
Public trade blacklist - http://www.cheaterhell.com/ Their DB listings are compiled from various webmaster sites, (it's not a commercial product so expect some delays between cheater identification and outing on various boards, and the site appearing in their DB).
Webmaster resource (AskDamageX - cheater subforum) - http://www.askdamagex.com/f8-cheaters-amp-scumbags.html. The "Search" link at the top of the page will let you search the ADX site by domain name.
greenrat

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2007 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Rhino. Would your information in http://www.protect-x.com/forum/ftopic736.php&highlight= apply as well?

Regards,
Jim
rhino

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2007 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenrat - yep, the example I gave fatfoo is what I use.

The hitbot blocker bracy posted http://www.htaccesstools.com/block-hitbots/ uses Mod_Rewrite which is server load intense and I have a few networked free script (ST5/ATL3) sites mounted on the same server and per my SysAdmin load issues have to be a consideration.

FWIW, this last "present" from estdomains is a real piece of work... it's a very good/not stupid bot. Tip - If you click through your ATL3 admin panel to check the actual trade site (I usually do on any new trade) check your ATL3 settings for blocked referrer and no cookie redirect settings, then look at your last hits log, then check Protect-X traffic summary.

Not positive (yet), but it looks like the organized estdomain cheaters have added a new feature, in addition to recursive by IP autosignups. Twisted Evil

Rhino

Only thing I've been able to spot so far is ATL3's informer routine seems to be an early warning on signup bots, as 5-10 emails from different ATL3 supported domains with different niche themes, and with the same new trade signup info and same/close time stamp stand out.

Also watch your Protect-X stats for a high percentage of bad no trade (unexplained) traffic!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1

ADVERTISEMENT

ImLive Cam Adult sponsor